The Kenézy Library of the Faculty of Medicine was founded in 1947. In the beginning the collection was based on three major resources: medical books and periodicals from Tisza István University, a donation of 327 books by Lund University in Sweden, and bequest of Professor János Balogh. In 1948 the Library took on the name of Professor Gyula Kenézy who played a significant role in the organization of the University of Debrecen. According to a council order, created on 9th February, 1949, the Library got the building of Kenézy-villa for temporary use.
In spite of the temporary emplacement, the Library remained in the building till 2006.
The Library became an independent unit as a central library in 1971. Since 1978, under the leadership of Dr. Márta Virágos the Library has gone through major expansion and improvement both in services and in collections. The primary goal was to develop quality reference services. Having been among the first institutions to acquire computers, the Library has always assumed a leading role in modernizing facilities and services. It has entered several tenders successfully, among which the installation of Corvina system is notable funded from a World Bank tender. A couple of years ago the digitalization of the book and periodical collection has begun. Besides improving services, the Library has been playing a major role in academic life in the field of informatics and library science. Many among the library's staff have participated in international conferences, and the Library itself has given place in several occasions to the National Conference of Medical Libraries.
In 2006 the Library moved to a new location and took the name of Kenézy Life Sciences Library signifying a merged collection from the fields of medicine, chemistry, biology, and agriculture.